The Miami Herald on Puerto Rico’s embattled governor
Puerto Rico’s embattled governor is trying to hold on to his job. But, at this point, Ricardo Rosselló is never going to be un-embattled. It’s time for “Ricky” to listen to his angry constituents. Their protest posters say it all: “Ricky Renuncia” — “Ricky Resign.”
The street demonstrations — and clashes with police — that started in quaint Old San Juan last week in front of the governor’s mansion have spread everywhere on the island. The outrage has been exported to cities on the mainland, including Miami, Orlando and New York.
Monday night’s demonstration was to be one of the largest in the country’s history and brought thousands of Puerto Ricans from across the country to San Juan, where police waited in riot gear.
The governor has remained firm that he will not resign because, as he told Fox News in a tense interview on Monday, he was “elected by the people.”
But the people who put him in office are determined to push him out. Last week, we said that Rosselló had earned the governorship when he was elected to office. “Now, he must earn the right to keep it,” we wrote.
This week, it’s clear that it’s too late. Rosselló has simply lost the collective ear of Puerto Ricans who are sick and tired of their drained economy, the fight to recover from Hurricane Maria, government corruption and a governor incapable of making anything right.
In a video posted to his Facebook page over the weekend, Rosselló apologized — again — for his part in cruel and puerile chat messages ....