A1 A1
top story
CG braces for tax revenue hit from pandemic

CASA GRANDE — The exact impact of the COVID-19 stay-at-home order on city revenues hasn’t been determined yet but the city is planning for a decrease in revenues for its 2021 fiscal year, which begins July 1.

Interim Finance Director Rob Sweeney explained to Casa Grande City Council members during a budget planning meeting Wednesday that the city has received preliminary sales tax revenue figures for the month of March.

The figures show a decrease in revenues for the two weeks the stay-at-home order was in place during the month, he said. However, revenue for the whole month was more than last year at the same time.

The city brought in about $2.37 million in sales tax revenues in March 2019 compared to $2.43 million in March 2020.

State and local sales taxes account for about 85% of the city’s general fund revenues, with the remainder coming from property taxes and local fees, Sweeney said.

The impact is not as bad as the city expected, but it only represents two weeks of the economy during the stay-at-home order, he said. The full extent of the impact of COVID-19 on the city’s revenues won’t be known until the figures for April come in. Those figures may not be released by the Arizona Department of Revenue, which collects taxes for cities, until June.

In the meantime, the city is planning for a very slow recovery in revenues over the next six months, he said. Staff is suggesting that the city budget for an estimated $21 million in total revenue for the next fiscal year.

Because of the projected decrease, staff is suggesting maintaining current service levels, making some cuts where possible and pushing some projects into the near future, Sweeney said.

Projects that already have funding allocated for them, such as a salary survey to gauge whether the city is paying near the market rate for its staff positions, will go forward, said City Manager Larry Rains. But any actions related to that survey, such as changes in the city’s salary structure, may not happen until next year.

The city also doesn’t plan to hire any additional staff, except for some public safety positions that are covered by a federal grant, he said. A $1 million plan to expand and improve the city’s trail system, a citizen survey and a tax increase for the new City Marketing Organization are also on hold.

The city will continue to provide funding to the Greater Casa Grande Chamber of Commerce and several other programs it partners with such as Pinal Alliance for Economic Growth, Boys & Girls Clubs of the Casa Grande Valley, Casa Grande Main Street and The Museum of Casa Grande.

It will also continue to operate the blight removal program on the south side and west side and continue improvements to Elliott Park, Rains said. Those programs are partially funded through federal Community Development Block Grants.

“While there will be a bit of a slowdown, we will see progress on some projects,” he said.

featured top story
Bird of prey snatches dog in front of AJ pet sitter

APACHE JUNCTION — A woman is mourning the loss of her little dog Gilbert after he was snatched by a raptor last month at a pet sitter’s home. The incident is a rarity in the area, and it left his owner and some others in the community shaken.

Pat Stemple moved to Apache Junction in 2003 with her late husband. Stemple considers her two dogs Lacey and Gilbert to be family members.

“I don’t have children, so they are literally like my children,” Stemple said. “My animals always become like my children. It’s just huge. It’s a terrible way for him to die — if in fact that’s what happened.”

The incident occurred at around 6 p.m. on April 29, while Gilbert and Lacey were with a pet sitter on Wickiup Road. The pet sitter and her husband were outside with their own two dogs and Gilbert and Lacey when the sitter spotted something out of the corner of her eye.

She said she saw a large brown bird with a light tan chest snatch Gilbert only feet from her and swoop off into the evening. The couple watched the bird carry the 7-pound dog to the northwest for some distance, hesitating to see if it dropped him, before getting into their car to chase after the bird.

The pet sitter said they drove all night in search of the dog but couldn’t find any trace of fur or feathers. The next morning, Stemple got a phone call from the pet sitter, who was inconsolable on the phone while relaying what had happened.

The pet sitter is a personal friend of Stemple and has lived on a 2-acre fenced property for decades. Stemple’s dogs had stayed on the property many times.

“She keeps my dogs a lot and my dogs are very happy at her house,” Stemple said. “I completely trust her. So I have no qualms at all that she did anything wrong.”

Stemple was in Florida at the time of the attack to help a friend after a major surgery, and she needed to stay for three more days. During that time, her pet sitter rallied the community to search for the little dog. People went out on ATVs, made Facebook posts and searched the desert in hopes of finding the canine alive.

When Stemple arrived at the Phoenix airport, she took a shuttle home to Apache Junction. On the way, she began talking with the driver, who asked her why she was coming home early from her trip.

“I said, ‘Well, my dog got attacked by a hawk,’ and he said, ‘You’re not talking about Gilbert?’ And I started crying,” Stemple said. “He said, ‘Everybody knows about Gilbert. Everybody in AJ and Gold Canyon is talking about Gilbert. I haven’t run into anybody that isn’t saying something.’”

ksawyer / Submitted photo  

Pat Stemple is hoping her dog Gilbert will turn up alive.

Stemple had Gilbert since he was a puppy. The “Morkie Chi” 6-week-old was auctioned off at a Gilbert Historical Museum fundraiser five years ago and was originally a gift for her mother, but she took him home instead.

“I laughed when I got him, they told me what he was and they said, ‘He’s a Maltese, yorkie and long-haired Chihuahua.’ And I said, ‘OK, so he’s a mutt,’” she said laughing.

Named after the museum he came from, Gilbert was a spitfire of a pup and spent his days hanging out with his standard poodle sister Lacey and playing with his favorite heart-shaped toy with X’s and O’s — which he would carry to the door every time Stemple came home.

“It seemed like every time I got home, before he’d come to me, he’d run and find that toy and then bring it to me with it facing me. I mean, it was never upside down, it was always so I could see those kisses,” Stemple said.

Though it has now been weeks since Gilbert was taken, Stemple still makes regular trips into the desert in search of her beloved pet. She hopes he was dropped and is either wandering alive or was found by someone who hasn’t turned him in yet.

There are, however, some leads as to the culprit of the attack.

Kenneth “Tuk” Jacobson is a raptor management coordinator with Arizona Game and Fish who studies and works with raptor birds in the field on a regular basis. Based on the evidence and situation in which Gilbert was taken, Jacobson believes the bird was a great horned owl.

“They’re one of our larger raptors, and they will start hunting close to dusk,” Jacobson said. “Around 6:30 and in April — it’s about the time they’re waking up and starting to look for food.”

He also said that the size of Gilbert could have made him look like a rabbit, the primary food source of owls. But the biggest indicator to Jacobson that the predator was a great horned owl is the fact that the pet sitter didn’t hear or see the bird approach before it attacked.


The bird that flew off with a small dog in Apache Junction could have been a great horned owl.

Great horned owls are known for their virtually silent flight pattern, while other birds of prey such as the hawk are much louder when in flight. This means it can approach prey virtually undetected until it strikes.

However, great horned owls only weigh about 3.1 pounds and would have a tough time carrying a dog of Gilbert’s size.

“The seven pounds is at the high end of what they’d be able to carry off,” Jacobson said. “Five pounds and under definitely, but seven pounds, they would have been struggling a bit.”

Another possibility is a hawk, which is originally what the pet sitter, her husband and Stemple thought after the attack, but the hawk weighs even less at 2.4 pounds.

Stemple believes the culprit was a hawk, and that the smaller bird means it is more likely Gilbert was dropped and survived. She has been working with a wildlife photographer in the area to track local hawks.

Either way, Jacobson said this kind of bird attack is exceedingly rare, and he’s only heard of a handful of calls involving snatched animals in his time with Game and Fish.

“I wouldn’t want everyone to live in fear because they hear an owl hooting,” Jacobson said. “They’re after rabbits and other things for the most part. It’s a very rare occasion that I’ve heard of, or people have actually observed, owls grabbing their animal.”

Stemple expressed her thankfulness for the community’s support in looking for her dog and hopes they will continue to help search for her dog.

Meanwhile, she and Lacey are adjusting to living at home without the little dog.

“Gilbert’s presence is definitely missed,” Stemple said. “He was always moving, always engaged. … You never went anywhere without him in the house.”

top story
Details released on how social media dispute led to fatal STV shooting

SAN TAN VALLEY — A heated argument on the social media platform Snapchat contributed to a homicide in San Tan Valley earlier this month, court records show.

According to Pinal County Sheriff’s Office records, Gage Perez, 20, of San Tan Valley surrendered to sheriff’s deputies May 7 after he allegedly shot and killed Adrian Clark about 11:35 p.m. on May 6 in San Tan Valley.

PCSO took a call regarding shots fired in the area of North Appalachian Trail in San Tan Valley, and when deputies arrived, they found the 35-year-old Clark shot three times and lying in the street. Clark was pronounced dead at 12:50 a.m. on May 7 at Banner Ironwood Medical Center.

Witnesses at the scene identified the suspect as Perez, who initially fled the scene but surrendered a short time after the shooting.

According to a PCSO probable cause statement, deputies located Perez’s father’s phone number, and they spoke with his father. A short time later Gage Perez called deputies saying he wanted to turn himself in to law enforcement. He surrendered to PCSO deputies at 12:37 a.m. on May 7, 13 minutes before Clark was pronounced dead at the hospital.

According to a witness in the case, the dispute began as an argument on Snapchat. She told investigators that Alyssa Perez was speaking poorly about a person known as “AB.” A brother to the witness “interjected in the Snapchat story in defense of AB. Alyssa Perez was offended by the comments and advised her brother Gage Perez,” a probable cause statement reads.

The two men began texting each other, according to court records, and Perez “responded to the residence on Appalachian Trail to engage in a physical fight.”

The witness told PCSO investigators that Gage and Alyssa Perez arrived at the house and got out of the vehicle they were in and everyone became engaged in an argument.

“She stated that Gage and Alyssa Perez returned to the vehicle; however the verbal altercation continued,” court records state, “Adrian Clark exited his residence to investigate the yelling. She stated Adrian Clark approached the left rear taillight of the white car, at which time Gage Perez shot Adrian Clark by firing three shots from a handgun and fled the scene in the white car.”

Two other witnesses back up the first statement given to investigators.

PCSO detectives also obtained a video recording of the incident from a surveillance system.

“The victim was seen exiting his residence and walks up to the vehicle. Seconds later the three muzzle flashes are seen and people separate.” Three 9mm cartridge casings were found at the scene, the PCSO deputy wrote in the probable cause statement.

It is unknown if Clark was related to anyone involved in the online argument, based on court records. He did not have the same last name as anyone else involved in the case, including witnesses to the crime.

Initially Perez was booked into jail for first-degree murder, but the charge was later dropped to second-degree by the Pinal County Attorney’s Office.

Perez remains in the Pinal County jail pending the posting of a $250,000 secured bond and is scheduled to appear Friday in Superior Court.