FLORENCE — A juror sitting with a Pinal County grand jury was removed by court security Wednesday morning after authorities were told he had been exposed to the COVID-19 virus.
Court administration later said the report of the man having been exposed to the virus was false.
Security quickly responded to the grand jury room about 10:15 a.m., gathered the man and his belongings and escorted him out of the building.
Todd D. Zweig, Pinal County court administrator, said, “This morning the Jury Department received a report that a current grand juror had been exposed to the coronavirus. The report indicated that his spouse has a confirmed case and in spite of that he reported for grand jury duty today. Following protocol, we contacted the Public Health Department and they offered to check into the situation. They determined that the report was false. A representative from Public Health agreed to come to the courthouse and explain the situation to the grand jurors.”
The County Attorney’s Office released the grand jurors for lunch and the room was sanitized.
“We have received reports from several different agencies that rumors and false reports are common,” Zweig said. “Our job is to not panic and have plans in place to deal with any eventuality.”