CASA GRANDE — With a goal of ensuring that every child has access to nutritious and kid-pleasing morning and mid-day meals, the Summer Meals Program has begun.
Run through the Casa Grande Elementary School District Food Service program, the meal service offers a free breakfast and lunch to children and teens age 18 and younger.
As well as free meals for children, the program also features occasional guest speakers and activities. Set to visit the program this year are a police K-9 unit, a dental hygienist, a nutritionist and others.
Coloring books, crafts and other activities that can be done at home will also be available at some sites on selected days.
Each meal includes an entree, milk, fruit and a vegetable.
While meals are free to all children, adults who wish to receive a meal will be charged $2.50 for breakfast and $3.50 for lunch.
All food must be consumed on site.
As well as a lineup of stationary sites in schools and parks, the program will also offer mobile meals, for which children and their parents board a bus and ride while eating. Six bus routes will be available.
The program serves children Monday through Friday through July 26. There is no service on July 4.
Stationary service sites are:
- Casa Grande Middle School, 300 W. McMurray Blvd.: Breakfast 7 to 8 a.m.; lunch 10 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- McCartney Ranch Elementary School, 2631 N. Brown Ave.: Breakfast 8 to 8:30 a.m.; lunch 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Cottonwood Elementary School, 1667 N. Kadota Ave.: Breakfast 8 to 8:30 a.m.; lunch, 11 a.m. to noon.
- Boys & Girls Club, 1905 N. Peart Road: Breakfast 7:30 to 8:30 a.m.; lunch 10:30 a.m. to noon.
- Mission Valley community, corner of Friar and Pilgrim: Lunch only, 12:20 to 12:45 p.m.
- Silverhawk community, corner of Eagle Court and Desert Willow: Lunch only, 1 to 1:30 p.m.
- Carr McNatt Park and pool, 1115 N. Brown Ave.: Breakfast 10:10 a.m. to 10:40 a.m.; lunch 12:40 to 1:15 p.m.
- Len Colla Recreation Center, 1105 E. Fourth St.: Lunch only, 11:55 a.m. to 12:25 p.m.
- West Park, 611 W. 11th St.: Lunch only, 10:15 to 10:45 a.m.
- Desert Sands Apartments, 720 W. O’Neil Drive: Lunch only, 11:05 to 11:45 a.m.
- Cruz Park, 611 W. Melrose Drive: Lunch only, noon to 12:30 p.m.
- Rancho Grande, 1300-1338 E. Rodeo Road: Lunch only, 10 to 10:30 a.m.
- Courtyard Apartments, 2060 N. Trekell Road: Lunch only, 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Center Park, Cottonwood Lane and Morrison Avenue: Lunch only, 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Mobile food service bus routes:
- Colonial Del Sol bus route, Pinal Avenue to West Palm Avenue: Breakfast 7:30 to 8:30 a.m.; lunch 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Chuichu bus route, St. Augustine Street to Chuichu Road: Breakfast 8 to 8:45 a.m.; lunch 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Southside bus route, Third Avenue to Mercedes, Ash and Date: Breakfast 9 to 9:30 a.m.; lunch 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
- Paradise Palm bus route, Gila Bend Highway to South Guinn Drive: Breakfast 7:15 to 8:15 a.m.; lunch 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Toltec Buttes bus route, South Curry Road to West Cornman Road: Breakfast 7:30 to 8:45 a.m.; lunch 10:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Sonoran Apartments bus route, back of Route 344 to North Pottebaum Road: Lunch only, 12:45 to 1:30 p.m.
For more information, call 876-3630 or go online at www.cgesd.org to see menus and calendars of special events.