Homework helpers, reading buddies
With its Homework Helpers Program, the Vista Grande Library pairs children in kindergarten through sixth grade with a high school student who can help with homework or read with them. Sessions are held after school every Tuesday and Thursday. Those wishing to take part must sign up by calling 520-421-8652, ext. 5019. Schedules will be set weekly.
This class at the Vista Grande Library from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. this Wednesday is a continuation of the beginning iPad/iPhone class. It covers using the core apps (Calendar, Message, Camera, etc.) that came with your device. iPad/iPhone required.
Herbs for Health
Emily Sebring will meet with patrons on the second Thursday of each month, including this week, from 10 to 11 a.m. to discuss the benefit of herbs for the immune system at the Vista Grande Library.
Journey to Your Past
Attendees will discover the roots of their past through a basic genealogy class at the Vista Grande Library this Friday from 10 a.m. to noon.
Senior Fraud Schemes
A new monthly series will teach attendees how to protect themselves from fraud and keep money safe. Nicole Rizzo of Inspired Money Management will be covering robo calls, cyber protection, online security and more. It meets at the Vista Grande Library from 9 to 10 a.m. on the third Monday of each month. The first session will be Sept. 16.
Positive Parenting Workshop
Those who want to learn to help children develop self-discipline, responsibility, cooperation and problem-solving skills may attend a free positive parenting workshop at the Main Library this Friday from 1 to 2:30 p.m. For more information about the Positive Parenting Workshop, contact University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Agent Sybil Peters at 520-836-5221 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Both Main and Vista Grande branches are offering free English as a second language classes. Registration is not required; just bring paper and a pencil.
- Monday with Vicky Cook, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Vista
- Tuesday with Yael Sivan, 10 a.m. to noon, Vista
- Wednesday with Yael Sivan, 9:30 to 11 a.m., Main
- Thursday with Mike, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., Main
Adult Spanish classes
The following Spanish classes for adults are offered at the Vista Grande Library:
- Beginning Spanish is offered every Thursday from 1 to 2 p.m. Attendees should bring a notebook and pencil.
- Intermediate Spanish meets on Tuesdays from 1 to 2 p.m. to continue building on basic usage with Ms. Jen at the Vista Grande Library. Attendees should have taken a formal Spanish class or have a grasp of pronunciation and conjugations. Attendees should bring a notebook and a pencil.
- Advanced Spanish group, for those who already know Spanish and feel a little rusty, meets on Tuesdays from 2 to 3:30 p.m. in a very casual setting to converse about the day, learn new words and brush up on pronunciation.
The basics of the Android operating system used on Samsung, Motorola and Nexus smartphones and tablet devices will be discussed at the Main Library this Thursday from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. An Android device is required.
Anime and Manga Club
The Manga and Anime Club meets at Vista Grande Library every Tuesday from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. to watch anime, discuss manga and draw. It’s led by a volunteer who is an expert. Participants must be in grades six to 12.
After-school LEGO Club
The after-school Lego Club is for young, inspired builders and creators. It meets at the Main Library from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. the first and second Wednesday of each month. Ages 5 to 12.
- Vista Grande Public Library offers gaming on Wednesdays from 3:30 to 4:45 p.m. with a variety of video games and board games.
- The Main Library offers gaming on Thursdays from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. with age-appropriate video games, science kits, puzzles and more.
Sci-Tech Club at Vista
Robotics, technology and coding club meets after school at 4 p.m. on Thursdays at the Vista Grande Library. It is intended for children ages 7 to 12. Parents must be present in the library for children under 12. Class is limited to 15 students. To register contact the Vista Grande Public Library at 520-421-8652, ext. 5019.
Library Buddies Play Group
The Main Library offers a morning play group on Mondays from 10 to 11 a.m. with picture books on Nook eReaders, playing with Brain Boxes, cars, play-Doh, blocks, etc. A simple snack will be provided for the kids.
Fine-free card for kids
The Casa Grande Public Library has a new fine-free library card for kids through the eighth grade. The fine-free accounts will be limited to checking out three items at a time that will not accrue late fees, but caregivers will be responsible for lost or damaged items. Fine-free accounts will also grant access to the library’s digital resources. Children need to come to one of the library branches with a parent or guardian to sign up for a card. Children with existing cards can have their account converted to a fine-free account.