ARIZONA CITY — While kids are growing restless about having to stay at home during the statewide school closure due to the coronavirus pandemic, school districts are scrambling to put together a plan to make sure the remainder of the school year doesn’t go to waste.
Students in the Toltec School District were on spring break last week and were given an additional week without schoolwork while the district formulates a plan.
“Teachers are prepared to teach using the digital components of our curriculum, but we are also preparing paper packets that will be available when families pick up meals for all students who do not have internet access at home,” Superintendent Denise Rogers said.
She added that all students are being contacted so that everyone is aware of what method best accommodates them when it comes to the school assignments. Additionally, teachers will be available to take questions from students and their guardians and to make sure that students are engaged in learning.
In the event that the school closure continues past April 10, the current date set by the state, the district is working on a plan that would allow families without internet access to receive free service from local companies. The district would loan one iPad per family for students to access the curriculum and engage in learning.
Beginning on March 30, breakfast and lunch meals will be distributed from 10 a.m. to noon Monday through Thursday at the following locations:
- Arizona City Elementary School, 12115 W. Benito Drive
- Toltec Elementary School, 3315 N. Toltec Road
- Toltec Mini Park, Toltec area
- Estrella Community Church, Toltec
- Corner of Chuichu and Sparrow roads, Casa Grande
- Corner of Buena Vista and Mission drives, Arizona City
- Corner of Lamb and Coloma roads, Arizona City
- Corner of Amado Boulevard and Del Rio Road, Arizona City
- Corner of Saxon Road and Monaco Boulevard, Arizona City
- Corner of Ventage Road and Concordia Drive, Arizona City
All students receiving food must be present when the adult picks up the meal. For pickup at either school, drive or walk up to the front area by the office and a staff member will bring the meals.
School buses will be utilized for meal dispensing at the other locations; meals will be handed to those who approach the bus. No one is permitted on the bus.